Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Didn't We Just Do This???

It came to me just now, as the grill heats up and the fries begin sizzling...that my son's birthday is in two weeks... Wha-? That can't be. Didn't we just do this 11 months and a dozen or so days ago?? Here I spent the day feeling on top of things. And now...the birthday planning thing pops up.

If I were the kind of person who was really good at organizing, I'd be delighted to plan this. If I wasn't the kind of person who waits until the *very last day* to run to Party City to pick up plates and napkins...right between the mad dash to Costco and the cake pick up from Baskin Robbins... all would be well. I am, as becomes glaringly apparent from reading this blogs who kind of waits for things to happen. I like it that way, but then hate it that way on the day before. I tell myself that "tomorrow I will get it together and start these things sooner"... after all, tomorrow is another day. But that's been used before, and look where it got poor Scarlett.

I see this penchant for procrastination showing up in my daughter. The book report she received the directions for two weeks ago? Ahhh... she's got all Sunday night before it's due to work on it. And she manages. And I try to talk to her about how this could be not a good thing. This, indeed, could be a very bad thing. She could end up like me. The one with the five weeks old reports stacked precariously like so many annoying little desk mess makers, waiting to be filed. The one who (too many times) sends out birthday gifts to her nieces together. Which would be okay, if one wasn't born in May and the other in September. Which reminds me that my nephew's birthday present (July 10th) needs to go out tomorrow.

Maybe that "tomorrow" thing worked out for Scarlett every once in awhile. I'll think more about this then. Tomorrow that is.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I am the same way. I sit here and KNOW that Darsie's party is in...a month and half. I can talk about how wonderful the party will be and get everybody drooling with descriptions of cupcake flavors, etc.. But know in your heart, I won't do anything until the day before.

Good luck with the party stuff!