Sunday, February 10, 2008

Destination set, reservations made...thanks Dad.

I spent most of this weekend thinking that I would end up taking the kids on a trip to North Carolina and Winston Salem, where I lived for awhile as a child. But, I couldn't make my mind up. My dad had come over. He suggested Chicago. Another cold, windy, dreary place...just on the other side of the lake. Yes, I know, Chicago is a wonderful place and I cannot wait to visit again. When memories don't stab (I hope that happens sometime) I will visit again. But Chicago is so very Leonard. So very Leonard and my childhood. It's an empty, hollow place for me right now, although I have always loved the museums (we often took school trips for WI) and my favorite zoo (Lincoln Park) is there. Another time...maybe.

Then, we looked into flights to LA to (finally) visit our 2 year old nephew and 3 year old niece...but... I just cannot do the things we did together. Just as I was giving up, ready to slam shut the top of this computer and ad popped up. "Last minute deals to Houston"... This is where Leonard's cousin (like a brother-see prev. posts) and his wife (one of my favorite people) live. And they had a good deal, with a rental car. So we'll be going there. Nothing like booking a flight in 10 minutes, when 20 mintues before you hadn't the foggiest, really, about what you would do.

It all comes down to needing to run away. Hoping it will ease some of this overwhelming crushed feeling I've been having lately. But realizing I really have no where to go hurts a bit. Where I want to be is an impossibility in this lifetime, and I think I shall spend the rest of looking for replacements.

James is really excited. Traveling with him has always been fun and I cannot wait to see him and his cousin together, if only for a little while, again.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

14 comments:

Jeanette said...

I was in Houston about 15 years ago. It's a beautiful city. We took a little side trip to Galveston, too which was nice. I hope you have a peaceful relaxing vacation.

Kathy said...

Oh Laura, that sounds so perfect! And how neat that the perfect place to go 'popped' up for you just as you had given up. I love when things like that happen. Aren't enthusiastic kids fun! James sounds like a wonderful fella. And Nik sure looked pretty in the previous post. I thought it was a picture of you at first. Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Laura, get away! No matter where you go, it will be good for you. It will be hard too. Hard because you will think about Leonard not being there, that it's a trip without him. But what I learned also was that it is a start of some new memories. James will make this exciting and fun for you. ENJOY yourself!!!!

Anonymous said...

Laura,

Winston-Salem is where I live! What a coincidence :-) How long did you live here? I grew up here and then at 21 jumped up and joined the Air Force. We moved back here when we retired in 1993 to be close to my Mom and my son's only grandparent. Now, divorced and Mom passed away and with son leaving soon for Air Force...it will just be me (and my brother) left here.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! Anywhere in the dead of winter is a good place to go!

Debbie in NC

Marshamlow said...

I live not too far from Houston and we have been having some fabulous weather here. I hope you have a good trip. You are such an inspiration to me. Been having a hard time lately and seeing you put one put in front of the other is the most courageous thing I have ever seen. You have so many people routing for you, I hope that helps.

Erin said...

That sounds PERFECT. Running away is an absolutely acceptable thing to do at certain times. I don't care what people say. Sometimes it's exactly what you need; sometimes it is the only reasonable thing to do. And you'll all be together, which makes it especially perfect.

Donna said...

Wonderful! A trip is always fun to look forward to! Have fun sweetie!!!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Have a great time and create some new memories. I know it will take practice, but in time it can become a good and healing habit.:) Enjoy this time with the people you love. They love you too.

Laurie in Ca.

artemisia said...

This sounds wonderful! It will be warm, it will be a different environment, you will be surrounded by folks you love (and like!) and who know you are going through a very difficult time...

Have a wonderful trip.

Oh - and your Shetlie (sp?) sounds like a sweetheart!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

i pray you will have a peaceful trip and a good one.. love nita

Anonymous said...

“The best things about sunny days is that they remind us that the gloomy days are only temporary. Take a minute to list thirty things that are great about your life (and the more trouble you have doing it, the more you need to do it!) Tuck your list somewhere safe and refer to it when you need a reminder that a sunny day is just around the corner… ”
-The Rainy Day Book

Nance said...

Time away can be a tonic. Sometimes just being someplace different is what I need. I like it when the phone won't be for me, the view from the window isn't the same old thing, and the sounds aren't the same. Enjoy whatever you can.

Anonymous said...

About a month after my sweetie died, I had to attend a family wedding up north. I wasn't sure I was up to a wedding, and cried through the whole thing, but in the end it felt good to get away from my house and my habits and everything familiar and be among people who loved me "anyway." I did a lot of healing on that trip, I thought later, though I went into it with a fair amount of trepidation. I hope this trip brings you some healing, too. Safe travels.

Courtney said...

Have fun and you've been tagged.