Sunday, January 11, 2009

Calm...really Calm.

It never ceases to stun me, how my emotions can range from craziness (What have I done?!?) to absolute contentment (I made dinner and there is a fire in the fireplace) and all the little spots in between.

Tonight is calm. I am in the study, for that's the only place I can go online until I figure out linksys and it's little flashing light of pain when I try to hook up wireless. James is in the living room, playing Animal Crossing on Wii. Thank you Santa for the surprise of Wii. I am Wiilieved that James enjoys it. I am Wiidiculously bad at it. Okay, I'll stop now. The animals are all cozy and I am thinking that I really, really have done the right thing. It has just been tough in these days after family left and my little one and I are left on our own. I feel as if I just went off to college. With a really big dorm, of course, but the first time away from my nuclear family all the same.

My cousins have been wonderful. We went to see Twilight last night (4th time for me and yes I have a problem) and went to a crawfish boil. Yummy...really yummy in my tummy. I finally have the plate on the front of my car-oh how it hurt to see drill holes made into a nice smooth bumper.

Things that are still a little a bit sad: I miss my daughter, father and best friend. I would like to see James getting fresh air and playing with friends (he has made some at school so it's a kind of good thing).

Things that are awesomely good: The weather has been craptastic up in Michigan this winter, and I haven't had to deal with it.

18 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

pshhhh! i've seen it 6 times i've sooo got you beat lady.

how have you been?

Nance said...

We got 8 inches of snow in NE Ohio! And if you haven't seen a forecast, go look at one: high temperatures for the coming weekend are single digits. You zipped south just in time!

Marshamlow said...

I think it might have gotten down to 50 here today, I had to put on a sweat shirt and socks. Poor me! Just kidding. Our last assignment was very cold so I am luxuriating in the warm witner.

Not that you asked or even need advice, but here it comes any ways...

You have to join stuff, get a job, do volunteer work, or some other lame thing that you don't really want to do. It helps to have a full calendar, at least one thing to do outside the house everyday.

Try things like checking out the local malls, stores, etc to find the ones you like. Try all the restaraunts and ice cream shops.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are settling in. And definitely have your little guy play outside now because come July and August he'll melt if he's outside for more than ten minutes!

Anonymous said...

I so love Twilight (3 times myself), both the movie and books. So glad I'm not the only adult woman with the obsession! :o)

Did your lost kitty ever come home? One of mine disappeared a few months ago and after 3-4 weeks I gave up on him...then one night he just strolled up, very fat and happy!

Jeanette said...

Our weather has been craptastic so far this winter..you skipped out just in time! I won't envy your humidity come summertime, but for right now I could use a little Texas weather!

Tess said...

Laura, thanks for writing this. I'm thinking of moving too, to a new place where I don't know anyone and it's hard to explain why I feel it's the right thing to do.

I'm so happy you're feeling content.

Rach said...

Hi Sweetie!

You made a HUGE change so there's bound to be unease and then contentment. It sounds as if you and James are settling in beautifully and before you know it, you'll be wishing your little guy was at home with you more and out playing with friends less. Really!

As for "Twilight", well, I haven't even seen it once...:sigh:

HUGS!

Shelly said...

So happy that you're feeling well. I think your move is going to turn out to be a brilliant move. Best to you and James, as always.

BetteJo said...

Lots of cold and lots of snow in Illinois. I would like to not be dealing with it!

You made it sound so cozy there with the fire and all, sounds fabulous. Enjoy the moments when you have them. By the way - there is NOTHING quite like taking a nap with a fire going. Sigh-h-h.

Anonymous said...

A crawfish boil in January?! Everyone (in La., anyway) knows the peak season is April and May, which explains the prevalence of crawfish dishes at Jazz Fest, held (duh) late April and early May. You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Kathy said...

Hey Laura, you sound good! I also was wondering if your kitty made it home?

Willnnabel said...

Its normal to be a bit sad when family leaves. Will you be looking for work? Sometimes is helps to just focus on what you have to do, and then the rest works itself out. It takes a while for a new place to feel like home.
(Oh and thank you for yuor comment on my blog, it was very nice of you)

Karen MEG said...

I think I've really got to check out this Twilight thing..

Thanks for visiting my blog in the past bit, Laura. Your comments have helped lift my spirits.

And I have to say, this is a great post. I'm so glad that you and James are settling in well, and that is just fantastic.

Jess said...

It is hard when such huge changes are made. I'm sure missing your daughter is at the top of the list. I am very easily irritated with computer gear - hope you get that figured out!

I will try and check in more, I have gotten out of the habit of checking in on most blogs and I've missed reading yours!

Jess said...

PS- I feel like the most clueless person on the planet when it comes to Twilight. I read the first two books and I just.don't.get.it. :-) I also couldn't figure out the hysteria surrounding HP so clearly I am the one who is lacking in some way!

Scott said...

I'm glad to hear that you are having some good times, or at least "calm". Stay busy, and enjoy the Texas winter.

Rach said...

Thinking of you today, Laura. :o) It's been AMAZING, hasn't it? What a day! Truly one to go down in history. :o)