Monday, June 9, 2008

Weekend Review

I have not spent as much time outside of my house in the last 9 months as I did this weekend. Saturday consisted of two graduation parties (much to James's chagrin) and a welcome home party. Sunday was an obligatory visit to my mother so that she could "celebrate" my birthday--it also included one horrendous storm of the type that you don't want to be in the structure (modular on stilts) that we were in. Needless to say, we survived.

Party number one was for my next door neighbor's son. He is the one, I mentioned a while back (sorry I have a headache and can't find the right post to link to, who gave a wonderful eulogy... He is the one who often looked to my husband for guidance. I felt really bad because there appeared to be a low turnout and they had spent a bit of money on the hall and food. I was sorry that we couldn't stay longer. But it is also weird to not really know anyone. I am not a crowd person and find myself uncomfortable in situations such as that. The day was filled with those which is why I think that I have the headache I do. Stress.

Party number two was for Nik's boyfriend; another party at which a felt slightly uncomfortable. His family was nice though and James and I spent a good deal of it sitting out on the patio, attempting to catch any stray breeze that might happen to pass by on a rather stifling afternoon.

Party number three was a welcome home party for Nik's best friend. Her mother is also my best friend so this was a welcome respite from not knowing anyone. I still feel odd when I am out and about but I put most of that on myself. We finally made it home (after waiting out a thunderstorm...well two thunderstorms if you count having to wake up James to get him home).

Sunday was about going to my mom's for a cookout. The cookout ended up being hamburgers on a George Forman (sp) grill. She also bought a small cake for my birthday. Then a horrible, scary storm kicked up. I found out something else about myself. I can add to the growing list of things I am no longer afraid of in the aftermath (including but not limited to: flying, driving at high altitudes)--I no longer fear storms as I once had. The fact that I have lost these fears is, in itself, scary to me.

I hope everyone made it safely through the weekend.

9 comments:

Rach said...

It's good to get out sometimes and to find we are more adaptable than we once thought. Congratulations on all your weekend doings! I'm sure they were tough but you made it! :o)

HUGS!!

Debbie said...

Sounds a great deal more exciting than my weekend! I go burgers on the Georgie too :) Grill for one doesn't get it...

I'm proud of you girl for getting out and glad to have you on the GO EAST WEATHER MAKER team! LOL

Courtney said...

I'm glad you got out. It sounds like you guys had a pretty decent weekend even though it was hard. Good for you and hugs to you!

Btw, I like the two thunderstorms comment.

Donna said...

SO Glad ya'll are OK!!! Saw the storms on the news!!!hughugs

artemisia said...

Glad you got out and glad you made it through your birthday. I am thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I totally am not afraid of certain things now I get what you are saying. could be also that I am on antidepressants and my anxiety is better? But I was driving in horrid rain yesterday and I was FINE. After dealing with what we have dealt with, what could be worse? I think this is the part that has made you stronger or still numb and not fearful?
Dave's birthday is tomorrow.. just trying to deal with that. thinking of you. Cathy

Jeanette said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend. I hate the ackwardness of being at a party wheere you don't know many people. Don't be scared of overcoming fears. It's all part of the healing and moving on. And I was almost caught outside in that storm yesterday. I just threw my groceries in the car and no sooner shut the door and the downpour started. I think it was a lot worse your way than where I am.

BetteJo said...

Most days it's one step at a time, this weekend it was one party at a time. Sounds like you're handling things as well as you can - hope some of it was FUN! :)

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Wow sounds like you were one busy gal huh? Glad you got out even though you didn't feel comfortable until you got to your friend's house, but glad you got out. Ha, James sounds like my boys.
Hugs,
Rose