Thursday, December 13, 2007

Internet Shopping and Brand New Puppies...

On the one hand, I am glad for the internet and the ability to do most of my shopping in my pajamas at 4:30 AM. On the other, it is really hard to keep track of just how much I am buying and keeping things even with the kids...and now we're at crunch time for shipping and I've kind of lost the desire to finish it all. But that would not be fair to the kids.



Nik is still at home. I live in fear of her getting worse, never wanting to eat right again, getting sicker...

I started this last night...and then the computer went all wonky on me (why do they suddenly shut down for no reason when they are brand new?) and I lost my train of thought anyway.

I have hit a brick wall. There is so much I should be doing and I sit here, looking at it, with a headache. I really, really don't want Christmas to be here, and I am sorry for that.

About the puppy. I went to visit my cousin (in law, but I am claiming her for my own because she has been so good to me) and see her brand new little puppy. And he is adorable and fluffy. He is a shitzu (sp) and he looks like an automated stuffed animal. He is all grunts and squeals and cuddles and waving little baby paws...and the puppy smell! He is delicious. And then, because I can't walk away from this, I realized that he had been born after Leonard. That he would never know how much Leonard loved dogs, and know that through gentle rough housing and belly rubs and baby talk. And the missing him took over.

This afternoon I think I am driving out to Lansing with James (and I hope Nicole) to visit my cousin. He is up visiting his sister and I haven't seen him in more than 2 decades. I was 16 the last time I saw him and we went to Kings Island together with my brother and his family. He was always the "scare you in the dark" older cousin... The one I was afraid of. I admit, at 37, I am a little afraid of him yet.

On an unrelated side note... I have changed my posting name from MrsGrumpy to my real name: Laura. There is a bittersweet back story to the choosing of the unsername, MrsGrumpy, and I don't want to give the readers here or the authors of other blogs the wrong impression. Perhaps tonight, or maybe tomorrow...I will tell the story. It had nothing to do with being married to MrGrumpy and everything to do with Spoonerisms.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love baby puppy smell!!

Hope you have a great trip!

Woli said...

I missed hearing from you!

Jess T said...

Puppy breath really is the sweetest.

I have a cousin just like that! :)

I hope you have a great day, Laura.

Thinking of you,
Jess

Anonymous said...

If you think it's hard to keep track of what you're buying, try figuring out who the present is for when it gets shipped to you!

I travel a lot so have bought all my gifts online for years now. To keep it straight I make a folder in my email called Xmas 07, then a sub folder for each person. I drop the confirmation emails for the stuff I order online into each person's folder, and viola, it's all straight.

Of course this will not work if you buy for more than one person at each place. In that case, chuck this advice.

Congrats on the new puppy!

Laurie in Ca. said...

There is nothing quite like baby puppies and kittens, they are the best. Hopefully after 20 years of not seeing "Mr. scare you in the dark", you might see him totally different.
I'll be praying for Nik to get better and for you not to be fearful. Hoping you have a great day too Laura, you are on my mind all the time.

Love and Hugs,
Laurie in Ca.

Rach said...

Ah, puppy breath...there's really nothing quite like it, is there?

I LOVE Spoonerisms and I *knew* there had to be a story behind your screen name. :oP I look forward to the story.

Donna said...

I bet Puppy loved the belly rubs! And I'll just bet you and cousin will get along famously! Lots a hugs sweetie!!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

i am happy you have a puppy. i love them. i can't wait to hear the story. xoxo nita <3

Marshamlow said...

My puppy now five and kitty now 8 are the bane of my existence. I hope you have: more patience, more kindness, and less of a short fuse than me. This week, my "puppy" at all the chocolate off the Christmas tree craft that Lily and I made at her playgroup. We put one chocolate for each day left until Christmas on the paper tree. We were supposed to open one chocolate everyday after lunch. We came home from the store and it was ripped to shreds. I wish chocolate really did make dogs sick. My dog must have an iron gut. Good luck. Can't wait to hear the MrsGrumpy story.

Jeanette said...

I love puppy grunts! A long time ago a coworker was raising baby racoons and I went to help her bottle feed them one day. They grunted just like puppies do. So cute! You gotta love baby animals!!

Shari said...

I remember you mentioning the spoonerism before. :)

I love puppies. Except for the chewing...but they are always cute. Always.

I had neighbor kids like that-scaring me in the dark. And older siblings. I am not scared of them anymore, though.

I hope Nik gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

9 months after my sweetheart died, it became painfully clear that my eldest dogter, (also a Shih Tzu), was losing her fight against congestive heart failure. It was too much; I had spent the last month crying about losing her, but by April I had to make the call.

It was terrible coming home to a house without her, and before long I started thinking about puppies. Eventually, I got 2 Shih Tzu puppies, and they raise hell like nobody's business. But they have been such good, good medicine for my heart. An investment in life, my vet said, the same vet who had cried with me as my baby girl let go of this life. I know it's not for everyone, but I knew within a day it was the right thing to do, for me. Even if they still poop on my floor from time to time. :)

Dan said...

Laura, don't feel pressured into being happy on Christmas. My dad died 9 days before Christmas last year. I didn't feel like celebrating and I didn't. Do what you need to do Hon, and the holidays will be over soon. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Laura! I have wondered about the 'Mrsgrumpy' because you come across as mrsNOTgrumpy! Did I misunderstand about the pup being your counsin's? I have done no Christmas shopping and it's probably too late for the internet shopping by now. Hugs to you and the kids.